The on-save workflow takes action when a record is saved and meets the specified criteria.
With the release of CRM.me 3.0.5 comes a preloaded On-Save Workflow titled, "Closed won Opportunity alert". This workflow will send an email to recipients that you choose when you close a deal! The "Closed won Opportunity alert" workflow will be used as an example throughout this article.
Select the main module that the workflow will be triggered from.
Our goal in the "Closed won Opportunity alert" is to trigger an email when an Opportunity becomes won. For this On-Save workflow we will select the Opportunities module.
From the list on the left, drag or double click the field you wish to trigger the workflow on. The module fields will appear at the top for selection. Related modules can be expanded to select a trigger field from a related module.
Depending on the field type you select, you have the option to select the different rules:
- Equals – The selected field value is equal to the entered value.
- Does Not Equal – The selected field value is not equal to the entered value.
- Is Null – The value in the selected field is Null.
- Is Not Null – The value in the selected field is not Null.
- Starts With – The first character or number in the selected field.
- Ends With – The last character or number in the selected field.
- Contains – The selected field contains the entered value.
- Becomes – The selected field value changes to the one specified.
- Was – The selected field value changes from the one specified.
- Changes – A new value is entered in the selected field
- Does not Change – The value in the selected field does not change.
- Is Empty – No data is in the selected field.
- Is Not Empty – There is data in the selected field.
Modify Structure: Click this button to set the operators for the filters listed. By default, the report will filter to meet all the requirements of the filters listed (AND):
This can be modified for more advanced filtering, so you can change the requirements to meet filter #1 AND either filter #2 or filter #3:
To remove a trigger, hover over the top right hand side of the filter and click the little garbage can icon.
The event which will trigger this workflow is when the Stage of the Opportunity Becomes, Closed Won. It is important to use "Becomes" in this situation because we do not want this workflow to trigger again in the future if the Opportunity is modified and Saved.
Populate this section if you want to update or create a new record when the workflow is triggered. You can create any number of actions. Actions are categorized into the following:
- Update – Change the record that triggers the workflow with the specified value(s).
- Update Related – Update a related record in a different module of the record that triggers the workflow .
- Create – Create a new record that will be associated to the record that triggers the workflow.
- Create Related – Create a new related record. A related record is a record that will be associated to a related record of the record that triggers the workflow (IE: create a Task on all related Contacts of an Account record).
There is no Action for this workflow. No information is being updated or created. An email will be sent out when the workflow is triggered.
Populate this section if you want to send out an email message when the workflow is triggered.
- Template – Select the template of the email you would like to send out.
- Send – Select how soon the system will send out the selected template after the workflow is triggered.
- Send From – Configure who the template will appear as come from.
- Default System From Name/Address – This is the name and address specified in the admin Email Configuration-->Email SMTP Configuration.
- Custom From Name/Address – Type in a custom from name and email address.
- Triggered Record Owner's From Name/Address – The name and email address of the owner of the triggered record.
- Add Recipient – Configure who will receive the email. You can set whether to send using To, Bcc, or Cc.
- A person associated with the triggered record
- A person associated with a related record
- All users in a specific role
- User who triggered the process
- A specific user
- A specific email address
- All users in a specific group
- The triggered contact or lead
Along with the pre-loaded workflow is a corresponding workflow email template title, "We closed a deal - Sample Email Template". This email template has been selected, set to send 0 minutes after the workflow is trigger and sent from the System Default Address.
Note: When using a send time of 0 minutes the email will send automatically. Had a send time of 10 minutes been used the email message would be queued when the workflow triggered, sent to Message Queue then sent after 10 minutes.
The recipient is set with a specific name and email address. This can be changed to the recipient of your choice, either the specific name and email address of your choice or a dynamic recipient such as "All users in a specific role".
Name – Enter the workflow name.
Description – Enter a short description of the workflow.
Trigger On – Tell the system when to trigger the workflow
- New Records Only – will only trigger if the trigger conditions are met at the moment the new record is created.
- Existing Records Only – will only trigger if the trigger conditions are met following a modification to an existing record.
- Both New and Existing Records – will trigger if the trigger conditions are met regardless of whether the record is new or an existing record that has been modified.
Is Active – Tell the system if the workflow is ON or OFF.
Finally we have the Name, Description,Trigger On and Activity setting.
Q. Will new workflows I create trigger for records I already have in the system?
A. Workflow triggers only apply to record created or modified since the workflow was created or set to active. If you create a new workflow it will not retrospectively trigger for records that are already in the system.